My Marathon Medal

Lessons I've learnt from wanting this medal.


More than a year and a half  ago a good friend Heather Pretorius and I decided that completing the Auckland Marathon would be a good goal as we approached our 50th birthdays. At the time we were meeting each Saturday morning at 6.30am to walk the Tamaki waterfront route- from Royal Akorana Club to St Helliers, sometimes up Achilles point, and back.
We started with  a walking and talking plan. This then progressed to a 5 minute run/1 minute walk plan and then 26 weeks ago we built up to a 4 day a week running program. I am a full time teacher- i need to have a clear plan. I'm also very privileged to have had the loving support of my husband and sons.

Here  are the lessons I've appreciated along the way:
1. A physical goal alongside a professional goal is manageable
2. Set your target- stick to that goal
3. Talk, ask, listen to advice from those who have gone before you- glean what makes sense and try it out your way.
4. Just like the learners in my college classes- i needed specific guidelines when the training pushed me beyond my comfort zone
5. Tell others when the deadlines are tough AND do your best to tick off every schedule
6. Apart from lightening- the weather does not really prevent you from training. Wind and rain does NOT make you sick- staying wet and starting to shiver can.
7. Drink water often but not in large amounts as this is nauseating
8. Reading just like walking is part of a good running program.
9. Active recovery helps stiff muscles
10. Ice buckets or the chilly sea is good for soaking tired and swollen legs.
11. A watch that shows current pace is essential
12. Appreciate the company of others along the way.
13. A running partner and friend is worth more than gold!
14. Get to know your own feet- you can not walk or run a mile in someone else' s shoes.( i bought each pair of mine from the Asics outlet store- stuck with the same model- used 3 pairs in 17 months!) They really do wear out.


I ran the marathon- completing it in 5 hours 2 mins. under my predicted time of 5 hours 15 minutes.
I discovered that i can push myself and that my mind is SOO much stronger than my body! I did not "hit the wall" but did shed quite a few tears when i could see the finish line.
PS: I'd like to think that i really do have something in common with the All Black's -while they were collecting their RWC15 medals in Twickenham, I was receiving my medal here on the Victoria Park Pitch. along with all the other ASB Auckland Marathon and Half- Marathon finishers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growth, stewardship and distributive leadership - my Elim Story

Dreamschool...

You grew up