Growth, stewardship and distributive leadership - my Elim Story

Growth seasons just don't stop at Elim Christian College. Autumn 2017 seems like Spring. We have sprung into a new paradigm of change yet again. We are anticipating a  SPRING of new and vast landscapes of ideas, dreams and HOPES for a new building, a design that meets hundreds of learning needs and teaching expectations and a desire for a miracle that will see teaching staff being agile enough to teach on two campus; either on various days in a week or at set times daily either on one or the other campus. After all we are a one school two sites area school:
http://www.elim.school.nz/about-elim/
I have been part of a professional journey for just on 20 years on the same site. Someone recently asked me why I never get 'sick and tired of just teaching at Elim!'. My answer: "I never tire of teaching at Elim because every year a new set of students, subjects and invariably challenges come my way. I am never bored."  I also choose never to be bored. I have grown in confidence professionally and personally and believe I have a mandate to teach with love and bloom where I'm planted. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+7:20-24
I understand the need for STEWARDSHIP  to look after that which has been invested in you. To look after that which has been entrusted to you, to look after, care for and tend to that in which you are the adult or experienced one. To nurture and protect that which is the most and the least valuable in your organisation. There is a deep investment and a quality of appreciation and value that governs stewardship at my school. We are not just workers at a physical location, we are co owners of an investment that goes beyond physical walls.
Sometimes I find myself thinking of my students like clients. I need to ensure they are satisfied with the end product- their grades and their relationships. I value that there is an expectation from the professional council that supports and challenges me as a service practitioner. And one that establishes standards, expectations and values that guide and scaffold progress as a teacher.
 https://www.education.govt.nz/ministry-of-education/specific-initiatives/education-council/
I have learnt how to go it alone as a sole charge teacher, I've learnt how to just tow the line and do my job when personalities were strained and teaching programs were expanding at a rapid rate. I have learnt and mostly enjoyed just co-operating simply because I just didn't have the energy, tenacity or knowledge to challenge status quo. I have learnt and admired collaboration in teams and tried to emulate some co- construction in teaching  and learning programs. I have embarked on exciting technology adventures and now can quite boldly say I have shifted from one who simply digitized my programs to one who is embracing blended ( traditional and integrated digital ) approaches.
I now find myself embedded in collaboration. Collaboration is a time consuming and relational style of teaching and learning. It requires trust. It requires belief in those you work with. It requires time to really listen to others, listen to yourself and listen to your students.Lots of time. Learner agency, a relatively new phrase is now paramount. This term is something that challenged me- how do I give my students ownership in class? How do I give my students a say in course selection?  How do I offer them a choice that will remain a definite sense of value when they are a generation that seems to be getting used to change, easier than I ever did. generation flux - they are my new challenge.
I have seen styles of educational leadership and value the honoring and distributive leader who is the current principal at our school. In fact he has been here since 2002. He is The change manager!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/77615078/Large-scale-redevelopment-planned-for-Elim-Christian-College
Independence has its place on a growth continuum. In a growing school,  INTERDEPENDENCE is a leadership catalyst for change management and sustained growth. This impacting article referred to by a colleague is BRILLIANT. In fact I will be referring to it often from now on.
https://www.teachermagazine.com.au/article/distributed-leadership
1. Collaboration in class documents, collaboration in classroom layout - that's just good to great teaching practice.
2. Collaboration in what a school could or should look like, collaboration in what teaching and learning content should be taught for future citizens and should be assessed...now that's scary but challenging on a whole new level!
Design thinking and critical analysis requires a complex learning landscape. This challenge is mammoth, this challenge will keep me ( and my profession ) occupied for a few years yet.
In the meantime truckloads of energy will be channeled into new school thinking, designing, buildings, curriculum and the continuations of One school Two sites:
1.  Staggered or scattered timetables.
2. An absence of bells ( how awesome would that be! )
3. Shared or snared staff mornings teas ( a real culture builder at our school)
4. The quest for speedy transport between sites
5. Strategies to retain the culture of trust and support with migrant colleagues.

The school that I started at in a part time composite Y9/10 Social Studies and Y10 English position  has grown from 97 students to now just over 1000 and  continues to be the place of challenge, growth and joy. I am a classroom teacher, i am a design agent in a curriculum team , i am a collaborator in a dynamic English department, i am a member of an awesome emerging distributive executive leadership team. This school is my stomping ground,  It is my Oasis. It is my ELIM.

Comments

  1. Love this, Mandy!! Really inspirational reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing reflections on a wonderful journey so far - exciting times ahead as well. Love the idea of choice, not just for students but for teachers. We can choose to not get bored (as you say) ... 20 years. I am impressed. Can't even imagine it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an inspiration as you follow your calling! You are born for this, in a time of this Mrs ELIM!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dreamschool...

You grew up