NOT just an English teacher

New Year- same goals and refreshed hopes...BUT almost toppled on day one.
Almost toppled- My thoughts:
In a changing school environment that seemingly embraces new technology and strives to be a growth mindset organization, I am gobsmacked that other professionals and sometimes colleagues refer to me as 'just an English teacher' or  "you who uses too many words...". REALLY?
I am a mother with experience...of nutrition, allergies, love, life, survival, heartache, death, sports performance...But I guess at school those are all unseen skills.
I am a wife of a production engineer who talks and explains energy footprint, Cadmium, Mercury Telluride, lithography systems, spatial dimensions, practical "commonsense" solutions to vacuum sealing, wire bonding and Oscillator systems and production.
I am an aging athlete who loves exercise, from pilates to walking, running and a new found sport- Surf-Ski paddling. btw, The brace stroke is the most important action a novice surf skier must master.
I am a friend who loves company and coffee treats all over the country. I am a foodie who longs for every meal to be calorie free.
I am an avid reader who tries very hard to model good reading practice to my village- try and finish what you've started...
I believe in body, soul and spirit and live by a beautiful meditation " Lord God, help me be intensely spiritual, perfectly natural and throughly practical...". I know also that I am blooming where I'm planted.
So, over the next few weeks, I will be using many words. Many meaningful words. I am deeply invested in many areas and systems of the growing school-across 3 sites. Yes, i teach English and Social Studies along with manners, kindness, forgiveness, service, listening and leadership.  This has molded me into the role of a wordsmith or as Tania Roxborough states- A wordcarver.
Over the course of the next few weeks teachers, educators and school leaders will hopefully all see each other as professional and complex adults who each bring expertise in their own kete's * to this nation-building job.
Reset your confidence- here's how.
So I've reset -my Focus is on my strengths, why i am included in this group discussion. I'll focus on the fact that all voices although not equal, are heard and sometimes those who listen to others are the ones who learn the most. Listening is learning we tell our students...and ourselves.
To myself, i say " Choose not to be easily offended." I am in middle management leadership and its time to put ego aside. Choose to believe that the other person did not target or choose to offend me.
This week and probably for the rest of the term I will protect my confidence, point 13 below, do my best to keep my Ego in check and find a friendly face to invite to coffee.
Protect your confidence - Lifehack

* Kete- Maori for basket

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You grew up

Growth, stewardship and distributive leadership - my Elim Story

Student centered learning still needs an enthusiastic teacher, esp at the start of the school year.