Metaphors on Mothers Day

My posts are mostly about things that inspire or challenge me, always something ‘in the moment’ to encourage you- my readers. This photo is just that -a collection of little gifts; metaphors for growth. 

This post is also a tribute to my beautiful Mother Avrille Yvonne Grant( nΓ©e Schroder) and partly to thank 3 beautiful young, vibrant girls who spoke on stage at Elim Christian Centre on mother’s day.
The theme of growth sits here: in fact this ‘mature tree’ has been uprooted, bent, snapped, mocked, excluded, falsely accused, bits broken off, bits have died BUT new shoots have sprung up- this ‘mature tree’ has experienced kindness, invitations, nourishment, perfumed words of promise that drew out potential, the tender care of a gardener, the watering of friendship and sisterhood, and her roots have gone deep, deep down and now she provides rest, refreshment, shade and nourishment for many in this beautiful Oasis called Elim, in a community of determined passionate people and leaders who choose not to give up, in a Nation that is still God’sOwn! My tribute to my own dear Mama is apart from being one heck of a lady and raising 4 high achievers in academics and sport, she taught me to be thankful for all the little things, she taught us, 4 girls, to share, she taught us to enjoy one helping because you don’t need a second helping if the first is good! She showed us how to stretch the budget and always consider others.I love you, Mommy! πŸ’•πŸ’œ
The metaphor of the tree.
A tiny spark, an acorn, a forest in the making...I am part of the immigrant population who love and have nurtured children in this Nation, I am part of a body of believers who believe in an eternal investment for the kingdom of God. I am a teacher who believes in the God potential of every youngster. And as a mum of two sons, I am resolute in my prayers and faith that boys will grow into GOOD men. I remain resolute in my passion to teach with love. I remain resolute in reminding myself and others that words are life and as mothers, parents, teachers, educators we must use words of life and hope. We have the power and privilege to sow encouragement despite circumstances. I remain resolute that no matter how many times I experience heartache, loss or failure or disappointment I am still learning, growing and reaching onwards and upwards.
Tony Ryan in his book The Next Generation quotes an old Chinese proverb’ the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago (well that was me) and the second best time is now ( that’s you and still me...)
The Bible has many metaphors of trees. In fact 30 odd years ago my beloved mother- in law Annette Heim ( nΓ©e Pretorius) gave me a calligraphy verse on parchment that was one of the first handmade wooden frames for our flat ( we were newlyweds, lived on love when the monthly salary ran out) It was a scripture for our future. The reference is true. In tough times I clung to it! Honestly, I do not know how I’d cope without words of knowledge and life scriptures. God has been so faithful and trustworthy. Here it is:
 Thank you Mom. πŸ¦‹πŸ˜‡
 And so to Ps Becs Green, Darcie Frost and Danielle Joynt, with a reminder to those who mentor others just like Chermayne Gibson impacted her at the age of 9; thank you for sharing beauty and strength in the simplest of ways, you are reminding me ( just when I forgot for a moment) that teaching and parenting challenges are only a season of growth and you all are thriving saplings in my ‘forest’ that offer such delightful reminders of just how bright and good and rewarding and hopeful the future of this country is. Faith is nourishment to the soul!

 Much love from a ‘watered Oak’,  Mandy πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦πŸ’šπŸ‡³πŸ‡ΏπŸ’™


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growth, stewardship and distributive leadership - my Elim Story

Dreamschool...

You grew up