The three A’s

Affirmations

Monday morning tea was in the English workroom. It was my birthday. Colleagues had taken the time to bring a few healthy snacks and we sat in a circle while one by one they each shared a few lines affirming me as their colleague and friend. A tradition. Oh, my heart! Those words from each of you are soul food.  I often hear "good for the soul". I wonder what that really looks like for each individual I know. It had been the school ball on the weekend, I got to wear my expensive dress again, I’ve gained weight since I last wore it...argghh...must conquer this emotional eating habit and stick to the exercise and SLEEP plan. The 'postballphotobuzz' is fascinating as each student sees and squeals at their photo. Admittedly I'm just like a student in that way. But I ...
I miss my family in South Africa especially much on celebration days...those traditions, seeing my Mum and Dad's handwritten cards and reading his few poetic lines. Facebook fills a gap, I’m so thankful for the friends and acquaintances who take the time to acknowledge me on my birthday ( thank you to Facebook for the public announcement ) and pour words of love. Yup, this is my love language. I really enjoy photos...moments to recapture that moment with a friend. Telling me I am resilient when in truth at times I don’t quite feel that way, telling me I am kind, when to me everyone else seems kinder, telling me that I am their ideal flatmate when I feel old and drab. A dear friend used the word inimitable in his birthday text to me. I had to look that word up- its great!
Words are life and I ‘eat’ them. When someone on the other side of the globe remembers a fun training session we had decades ago...that is a soothing reminder that I haven’t lost a friend. The things others do to bless my heart and to spark a reminder of my real value as a person is what propels me to be an even better version of myself. This is what underpins my value as a teacher. I am a person first. Relationships matter most! They are the key to a healthy home, successful team, department, School, community. Student "V"  has come through a traumatic ordeal, but took time to give me a bunch of dyed roses. ( white roses, slit the stems and stand them in food coloring with a bit of sugar water.) These flowers have fascinated me over the past two weeks as they change the color of the water.
I have been heavily invested in the formation of our Kahui Ako; Community of learning. This is a nationwide exciting approach to Inquiry processes in teaching and learning to enhance education within and across schools. I have since applied for a key role on this team.  It was encouraging to hear the words "both candidates have met the national criteria..." from one of the panel interviewers because two of us in our school leadership team had applied for the position. The application process has been lengthy and demanding. This will be a week of waiting for the announcement. Either way, it has been a growth process and has left me feeling secure in knowing I did the very best I could to showcase who I am as a passionate teacher and friend to my colleagues. I hope I am always able to affirm others in a meaningful way. I want this to be my legacy.
Adjectives.
Then we went to dinner. A birthday tradition. My husband calls me his beautiful wife. This always makes me smile because he truly is my best friend. Heather my prayer partner and running friend ( actually these days we walk more than we run ) tells me I am her lovely bestie. That word makes me feel wrapped in acceptance.

http://nathanielclaiborne.com/20-practical-tips-for-building-the-habit-of-affirming-others/

My wonderful boys wrote me a real card and said I am the most important lady in their lives and am an amazing mum. I sort of know that but when they spoke those words, they became health to my bones. A great adjective is so worth it. Use them. Do not get stuck on "good". When someone asks:
"How are you?", try an alternative to "good".
 Good is a dangerous answer sometimes because there is often not enough time to say it how it really is. Thank you, my family, friends, and colleagues who took the time to speak into my life.
Alliteration 
a technique to enhance memorability. For me, it was a coping mechanism years ago that made me call out the good and the positive- a faith, hope, and a future. Its no use whinging about the weather- i can't change or even influence the shape of a raindrop or the angle of the wind ( I'm sure at times the wind blows from the ground up- especially on those rainy mornings when walking from the top carpark, carrying a heavy backpack, wet shoes and the just dried hair is turning frizzy- I hear one of the past school prefects HT, saying "embrace the frizz Mrs. Heim..") and I became determined not to let the weather preset my emotions for the day. It has worked wonders for me. These fun phrases, these words have been part of my mental wellness after many losses and much grief between 2007-2014.  I repeat them here:
Marvelous Monday- if nothing it might be a students' marvelous work
Terrific Tuesday- perhaps a terrific flavor in the evening meal- the night Grant, my love cooks
Wonderful Wednesday- quite possibly a wonderful catch up chat with a friend; the wonderful midweek moment
Thankful Thursday-thankful for a teaching career where I can keep learning, thankful for a warm home and a safe neighborhood- didn't always have that as I-  was growing up    
Fabulous Friday- fun, and fellowship with my family, Friday morning tea is a feast
Super Saturday- sport first- run/walk/cafe chats and then the Saturday arvo snooze- a tradition so I can handle the nighttime social.
Spirit-filled Sunday- yay I love our home church and the vibrant challenge of faith,
I'm thinking I will start " months of the year-affirming adjectives" as a classroom chart...any suggestions?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growth, stewardship and distributive leadership - my Elim Story

Dreamschool...

You grew up